Sunday, July 1, 2012

60 Day Body Make-over: Day 0

I'm not a health nut, a work-out junkie, or anything similar. I love time on the couch, Dr. Pepper, and large quantities of pasta. However, at the age of 24, I feel it's time to change that. I was a chubby kid, but the grace of puberty gave me curves in the right places and a tiny waste. I am 5'8" and weighed 130 lbs all through high school and most of early college. I was an active member of the Million Dollar Band, my University's marching band. I didn't know how much exercise I was getting until I graduated and put on nearly 50 pounds. In college, I maintained a size 5 or 6 and felt pretty good about myself. Now I'm a size 14/16 and weigh (as of today) 182 lbs. I have a 37" waist, 42" hips, 28" thighs, and 14" biceps (not muscle, I guarantee it). 
I stumbled upon a documentary on Netflix called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead that changed my view on health. As stated on the film's website, 100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease, Joe Cross is at the end of his rope and the end of his hope. In the mirror he saw a 310lb man whose gut was bigger than a beach ball and a path laid out before him that wouldn't end well— with one foot already in the grave, the other wasn't far behind. FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD is an inspiring film that chronicles Joe's personal mission to regain his health. With doctors and conventional medicines unable to help long- term, Joe turns to the only option left, the body's ability to heal itself. He trades in the junk food and hits the road with juicer and generator in tow, vowing only to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice for the next 60 days. Across 3,000 miles Joe has one goal in mind: To get off his pills and achieve a balanced lifestyle. 

I decided this might be for me. I've tried everything before. Low calorie diets (didn't lose a pound), Low-Carb diets (lost 10 lbs, no more no matter what I did), and Vegetarian (again, didn't lose a pound). As a professional procrastinator, I thought I would give this juicing diet a try as soon as I could afford a juicer. I got married 6 months ago, and my husband and I just bought a house, so needless to say, a $50+ juicer just wasn't in the budget, but I had good intentions RIGHT!? 

I was telling my mom about the documentary and how I might give it a try whenever I could afford a juicer. She posted on a local Facebook marketplace that she was looking for a juicer and not 5 minutes later, we were on our way to one of her friends' house to pick up a nice, FREE juicer. Now what would my excuse be? Oh yes, I need groceries. We'll have to wait till I could afford LARGE quantities of vegetables. And before that I needed recipes! Well, 2 days ago was payday and today I went to the grocery store and bought more vegetables than I have ever in my life had in my fridge.


I have enough groceries to have 3 "meals" a day for the next week. And I only spent fifty-ish dollars! I did the math and was shocked when I saw the price of each meal. 


Yup, only $3.85 a meal! That's so much cheaper than ChickFilA! I decided to also grab some ZipLoc bags to separate my meals for the next day the night before. Anything to let me sleep in some! Here's tomorrow's meals! 



I've also decided I need to exercise. Not like run a marathon or bench press an elephant, but burn some calories. With this diet, I'm going to also start the Couch to 5K program. It's 30 minutes a day, 3 or 4 days a week, for 9 weeks. It's supposed to make a couch potato like me be able to train for a 5K run in a little over 2 months. I don't know if I'll actually run a race, but there is the Color Run 5K coming to my part of the country in about 9 weeks! If I had to run a 5K, this would be the one!!

So in close, of course I'm hoping to lose some weight and get my sexy on, but most of all, I want to get healthy. I plan on keeping a close watch on my blood pressure and such throughout this rebooting to make sure everything is still working properly, but hopefully at the end of August I will be able to go back to food with a better sense of what I should and should not eat. I will try to continue exercising and eating healthy. But don't think I won't eat a piece of pizza every once in a while. Just not for every meal ;)

Without further adu, the dreaded "before" pictures. Let's see what happens!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment