Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Media Is Very 1984

It's everywhere, and I knew that. But I truly realized it when I started logging all the interactions I had with the media, especially when I noticed I was logging the interactions on my iPhone. Blast! I realized I use my iPhone for hours daily, whether checking email, surfing the web, or facebooking. I facebook in a very addictive manor. One thing that was cool is that I don't have cable, and I have exhausted all my movies, so that wasn't a big chunk of my time. However, I've recently discovered Hulu and spent hours watching the final 5 or 6 episodes of the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, and also my guilty pleasure...The Bachelor.  Everytime I get in the car I listen to NPR. Always. Except on my way to school in the mornings. That's when I spend my 15 minute commute listening to Rick and Bubba. Also, every morning and afternoon I go online and listen to a 7 or 8  minute podcast forecast discussion by my former boss/boyfriend's father, James Spann, to get my weather fix. By night, I facebook for hours on end. The only time I watched actual TV was at my boyfriend's house when we watched the Australia Open for what seemed like ages, but I'm sure it was only a match or two. The worst part (other than my iPhone), was work. I work in a library so I am consumed by computers and books. I did a lot of computer research about potential graduate schools (and then took a break to check river water levels for kayaking this weekend). I also have read an entire book in the past week. That's what happens when you work at a library. I honestly didn't realize how much time I actually spend online, even though I already knew I spent too much time on the computer. The iPhone time was surprising, but I think it's just because it so accessible.  I also don't think I am an avid reader, but to realize how many hours I actually spent with my nose in a book was insane. I also buy a lot of crappy celeb gossip magazines, so I probably spend about half an hour on each of those. I honestly know that I should have been doing homework and studying rather than all this time facebooking and huluing, but that's just how our generation is wired, it seems. Even classes (such as this one) just envelops you in media. A few of my classes show video clips and even one class we watched an entire movie. Everytime I get on the Crimson Ride, there is a radio playing. There are TVs all over the Ferg. I even watched the news while waiting at the doctor's office on Friday. It's mad! Perhaps I should use media as a dessert instead of meal. Wait till everything I actually NEED to do is done, and then perhaps "reward" myself with a bit of facebooking, or watching this weeks episode of The Bachelor (I can't help it, he's just so cute!). Regardless, the media is very big brother and everywhere we turn. Orson Wells should write a book about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment